Tonight I talked to my 92 year old Great Uncle Roy. (I believe he is 92) - Words can not explain what Uncle Roy means to me. My Grandpa Walters passed away when I was 2 and I don't have any memories of him, just the stories from the family and a few pictures of us together. Uncle Roy has taken me in like a Grandpa would. He is an amazing person - still living on his own, drives, LOVES to cook (have you ever tried a grilled fried peanut butter sandwich?). When I was living back home we would visit once every few months. Every time I went home this past year, we would visit on the way back to the airport - minus December when he was in Virgina. We still have a great connection that we did when I lived back in MN. At least twice a month we will chat on the phone. We like to talk about the old days of the family, how cameras work, gas prices, the weather, places we have visited. I told him about my adventure in NYC this weekend and he told me a stoy about when he was in NYC. Uncle Roy has always encouraged me to follow my dreams and thinks it's great that I am doing what I am doing. He says it's not easy, but I will find my way. He has given me strength and support when I need it.
The photo was taken a few years ago...
Well that's all for tonight - I'm sure there will be more about Uncle Roy as time comes.
Stay tuned later this week for my adventure out to CT for the first time - it will be one year Friday since my interview at ESPN - the interview that changed my life.
Words of Wisdom:
Have faith and be young at heart - make everyday count and be full of life!